Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Love is for dummies

"I am someone looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love." - Carrie Bradshaw


What an awesome quote.....right?  Is it strange that as much as I personally agree with that quote, I believe that it's unattainable.  Ok, maybe I'm a pessimist but come on....how many people do you know lie, cheat, and are miserable being married?  Sadly, I know WAY too many. 


There is always drama, forceful compromising, and a struggle to keep a relationship together.  I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as love.  I'm not talking about love shared between family.  I'm talking about "true love".  The type where you want to marry that person and live "happily ever after".  Honestly, I think it is nothing but an agreeable common attachment between two people, and when the attachment starts to wear off, they go looking for another one.  


The older I get, the less I believe in the idea of love.  Someone once told me that I need to meet the right guy. I laughed at them.  Maybe what I need is someone to show me love is real, because until now, no one has been able to do that.  Even my friends that are in relationships all deal with so much bullshit.  Why would I want to put myself into that situation?  I'd rather be happy alone than in constant need of someone else.  I want to make myself happy, not spend my life depressed and crossing my fingers that one day some prince will swoop in a make my life complete.  Come on, what is this, a Disney movie?  NOPE!


I'm sorry if you're reading this thinking, "Poor girl," or, "She has no idea what she's talking about.  Me and my significant other are perfect and happy," and just getting angry at me.  But, you can not accuse me of not having just cause to feeling the way I do.  


So overall, am I looking for love? No.  If it wants to find me, it knows where I am.  Would I like love? I guess.  Am I going to kill myself if I don't find it? No.  


Believing is seeing....so until I see it, it's nothing but a myth, folklore....a unicorn.

2 comments:

  1. Actually I think you're absolutely right. You can't/shouldn't find true love until your are happy being single. You sound like you are doing all the right things...don't wait for love to find you....go out and have a fabulous life and true love will be tripping over itself to be a part of that life.
    Good luck!
    BTW - I have been happily married for 28 yrs. and counting- true love does exist, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! It's nice to hear that I'm not totally crazy haha! Congrats on 28 years! I hope that one day I can say the same but until then, I'm happy with life just the way it is :)

    ReplyDelete